Friday, April 27, 2007

I'm your pusher when you need...


'Sugar man met a false friend
On a lonely dusty road
Lost my heart when I found it
It had turned to dead black coal.
Silver magic ships you carry
Jumpers, coke, sweet Mary Jane'

MP3: David Holmes - Sugarman

Perhaps best known for his musical meanderings through cinematic soundscapes, mixes and urban samplings, David Holmes changes tack for this album and produces it under the name of The Free Association, bringing a slightly different flavour and jazzing it all up a bit.

The Sugarman track is a cult classic, originally recorded by Sixto Rodriguez on his anti-establishment album Cold Fact. There is also a version of it on Holmes' album Come Get It I Got It. Personally I prefer the version that uses Rodriduez's vocals although this one is still a beauty. First heard in January of this year on a ski holiday, it quickly became the tune of the trip. I sometimes lie awake at night fretting over the songs that i've missed that might change my life but thankfully i caught this one in time.

MP3: David Holmes - (I Wish I Had A) Wooden Heart

This is some pretty funky shit. Driving bass and rythms combine with tweaked-out vocals and Holmes' production really comes to the fore. I went to your house but I couldn't find the door.

If you have any lost classics to share, let me know so i can sleep easier!

2 comments:

mp3hugger said...

Like it, great lad is David Holmes. Good blog!

mp3hugger said...

Thanks for writing, reciprication on the way!