Thursday, July 17, 2008

I'm talking 'bout the elephantitis...

Pic: Jayenems

As introductions to Jamaican music go, you can't go far wrong with The Story of Jamaican Music. By no means comprehensive, it still serves as a taster of the Carribean scene from its early inception to the current Dancehall phase, taking in dub, ska and reggae influences along the way.

I was listening to an old Blue Room a while back when Monsieur Da Bank played 'Diseases' as part of the Dub Club segment on the show. Upon hearing said track i dropped everything and vowed to seek out a copy and share it with the wider world (or failing that, bloggers).

Which, in a roundabout way, is how i came across The Story of Jamaican Music. A 4 cd compilation, beginning in 1958 with ska and ending with the first wave of dancehall in 1993. A quick scan of Amazon reveals that copies are going for well over 100GBP! However, you can always do a crafty google search and download the torrent (but you didn't hear that from me).

As hard as it is to pick a favourite from the 95 tracks on offer, i'll have to go with the first one i heard, 'Diseases' by Michigan & Smiley. It still puts a smile on my face and makes me skank like a bad boy, and garners plenty of 'Who is this?' attention from friends when played in the car.

Having said that, i can listen to the entire collection quite happily (only having to skip Shaggy's dreadful Oh Carolina) and a few of the songs have made it onto my all-time favourites list.

Do yourself a favour and download them all.

The Wailers - Simmer Down
The Maytals - 54-46 (That's My Number)
Jacob Miller - Tenement Yard
Black Uhuru - Guess Who's Coming To Dinner
Michigan & Smiley - Diseases (Hermetic Seal of Approval)
Tenor Saw - Ring The Alarm

All links are Yousendit. You have a week. Go!

4 comments:

Aidan said...

Oh yeah! Skank on.

Anonymous said...

I will not agree on it. I assume warm-hearted post. Specially the title-deed attracted me to review the sound story.

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

Adeela Abbas said...

I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog.
Here is some useful information for you.......
Gazco Gas Fires
Gazco Stove Fires
Gazco Electric Fires
Gazco Studio 1
Gazco Studio 2
Gazco Studio 3
Gazco Studio 1 Slimline
Gazco Studio 2 Duplex
Gazco Studio 22
Gazco Gas Fires
Thanks